Friday, December 31, 2004

Why I Don't Play With Jeff

Even though it's tempting, I'm not going to bother answering emails from Jeff.

He sent a couple of anonymous emails, signed "A friend," to my old email account before identifying himself as Jeff a few weeks ago. As a former Catholic, he has been trying to point me to some anti-Catholic writings on the Web. I read what he sends, and if he was serious I would be happy to correspond with him.

The problem is that his name is not Jeff, and he was never Catholic. I won't correspond with Jeff as long as he calls himself Jeff, or seeks anonymity, or makes up stuff. If someone has to play games by sneaking "the truth" across, I'm not going to participate -- despite my morbid curiosity.

What bugs me is that, in real life, this person (yes, I know who he is) will not discuss our differences because he believes the Bible teaches us not to "argue religion." While I would dispute even that, I can accept his refusal to discuss Christianity at any depth, because I have no choice. But I can't understand thinking it's okay to challenge another's views only if it's done anonymously via email.

I do appreciate his concern for me -- and I know his concern is genuine -- but I would prefer even greater genuineness. Truth is strong enough to stand on its own, without any help from untruth.


No comments: