Saturday, July 08, 2006

So Let Me Be Grumpy . . .


I'm grumpy. Normally I'm the cheeriest guy in the universe.

Yesterday I took my car to get inspected, and it failed because of a hole in the lead exhaust pipe and two bad tires in the back. I took it to another location because the first one was a muffler repair shop, but I was told the same thing.

After mowing grass for nearly five hours today in the blistering heat, I showered and went to Mass. The man I griped about in a recent post began his homily with a lame joke (surprise!). The punchline was a woman saying to her priest, "You should be more careful shaving and cut your sermons!" I suppose I should be careful to cut Saturday-evening Masses and stick with Sunday mornings.

After Mass, I went to my car and discovered that, sure enough, one of my back tires was flat. So, along with my expired inspection sticker, I drove home with a goofy-looking, attention-getting spare tire in the back. I should call the police station and ask the dispatcher to send an officer to our driveway so I can ask for my high-priced ticket now.

I don't have the funds to replace two tires and fix my exhaust problem (or pay a fine), so I'll have to wait till payday to get started on that to-spend list.

But maybe I won't be driving the streets anyway if I'm incapacitated by my increasingly sore, infected chigger bite on top of my foot. At least my other foot is okay -- in spite of my dog biting it a short while ago.

I won't let discouragement get me down too much, though. The sun'll come out tomorrow . . . giving us 90-some-degree weather so we can bake in our poorly air-conditioned home, causing next month's electricity bill to rival this month's $544.

Here's my solution: I will consume a cold glass of water, lay down and pet my penitent dog, and fall asleep counting my blessings. Then I will awaken tomorrow morning as the cheeriest guy in the universe again.

Cheerio!

No comments: