Thursday, July 06, 2006

What's Said by the Bread

I read an article this evening entitled "Real danger lies in lack of reverence for Lord in Eucharist," and it makes me reflect on my local parish.

In many respects, my parish is a very good one. One thing that bothers me is the casual, back-slapping atmosphere that blows in just as Mass concludes. I'm not sure why it is: before Mass, everyone, for the most part, is quiet, reverent, and prayerful; but afterward, even before the final song is finished, the parishioners erupt into social-hour mode right there in the pews.

The most annoyingly disrespectful act I've seen, however, was before Mass: while many of us were kneeling in prayer, a lady traversed the rows to sell raffle tickets with the fervency of a starving Cracker Jack salesman at a baseball game. Very tacky, indeed. I was determined to keep my eyes closed, and prepared to rebuke her quietly if she insisted on disturbing me.

If we as Catholics believe in the Real Presence, that through the Eucharist, Jesus is truly present -- Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity -- then the furthest things from our mind should be the afternoon's football game, the new blockbuster movie, and the latest fund-raising raffle. In our darkened world, the Real Presence in the Eucharist is our Light, but we shouldn't treat it lightly.

While I'm at it, I have another gripe. We have someone authorized to give homilies who seems unable to expound the Scripture readings without first telling a corny, gratuitous joke, which serves to distract our attention from, rather than draw it to, the Gospel readings. It's as if he's afraid we won't like him unless we are wooed by his cleverness or wit. But we're not drawn to the Church by entertainers; we're drawn by the Truth.

I don't mean to sound like a holy man of perfect piety. I'm not fully focused at every Mass. There are times when I'm distracted and fight to keep my mind from wandering. But it makes sense that there should be some decorum out of respect for what's happening, and Who is present at the altar and in the tabernacle.

Part of that respect should be shown in our conduct and speech. Let's watch what's said by the Bread.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By "someone authorized to give homilies," do you mean a priest or deacon? Because there are clearly defined rules about when someone who is not in Holy Orders is allowed to give "talks" (not homilies) at Mass. As a rule, no lay person may ever give a homily during Mass, but occasionally they may give spiritual talks if they are introduced by a priest or deacon.

DC said...

By saying "someone authorized to give homilies," I was trying not to identify the person. But, yes, he is someone licitly permitted to give formal homilies.