Thursday, May 03, 2007

"Routine-istic"


I think she blended "routine" with "ritualistic."

My Filipino friend was explaining why she became Baptist after moving to America a few years ago as a lifelong Catholic, citing routine Catholic rituals that didn't hold her interest. Her parish went through the same old things week after week.

Her new Baptist church, on the other hand, studies the Word of God and offers a warmer, friendlier environment, she says in so many words.

For me, at least, it's hard to reason with someone wooed by the warmth of a good Southern Baptist church without sounding argumentative or academic. I understand that not everyone who betrays her Catholic Faith is a victim of the warm fuzzies, but for those who are, I'm at a loss for words. While there's little I can say, of course there's much I can pray.

Still, I consider what my friend said, and I end up explaining it to myself in a way I can understand. (It's all about "cultivating the Catholic conscience.")

First, the Catholic Church is the premiere "Bible Church." It's the Church that preserved the Bible, canonized the books of the Bible, and exists as the Church of the Bible. We are engaged visually by the biblical scenes portrayed in works of art. We are engaged auricularly as we hear the numerous readings that systematically work their way through the Word of God, the Bible. And, most importantly, we are engaged spiritually by literally communing with the Word of God through the Real Presence of the Eucharist.

If you're looking for a solid "Bible study" -- examining the depths of Holy Writ -- then there are many such Catholic Bible studies. It's just not the goal of the divine liturgy. Mass is a class, but for the spirit and not necessarily (although sometimes) for the intellect. That's what Wednesday- and Sunday-night Bible studies are for. You cannot read the works of Catholic writer and teacher Scott Hahn, for example, and claim that Catholics have little to offer those who hunger for in-depth Bible study.

If you're looking for social networking, you can go to any number of your parish's activities -- but Mass is not the live Catholic version of Yahoo!'s "Chat Central."

You can find friends and studies easily enough as a Catholic, but most importantly you get:

  • All the sacraments, notably the Eucharist and Reconciliation
  • Bishops and priests who are given authority to say Mass
  • The pope, successor to St. Peter, the "rock" upon whom Christ built His Church, who shepherds the "Church militant" (i.e., the Church on earth)
  • Authentic teaching handed down by the apostles, preserved and codified by the Church's Magesterium throughout its history

Yes, it's easy to get hooked on a religious feeling, but why not seek to be reeled in by the Truth who will set you free?

I'll pray that my friend returns to full communion with the Church, which, in obedience to Jesus' ancient instruction, goes through the "same old things week after week": celebrates Mass (1 Corinthians 11:23-26).

3 comments:

brave anonymous poster said...

"You can find friends and studies easily enough as a Catholic, but most importantly you get:

All the sacraments, notably the Eucharist and Reconciliation

Bishops and priests who are given authority to say Mass

The pope, successor to St. Peter, the "rock" upon whom Christ built His Church, who shepherds the "Church militant" (i.e., the Church on earth)

Authentic teaching handed down by the apostles, preserved and codified by the Church's Magesterium throughout its history"




c'mon Darren....do you REALLY believe that? I don't mean to sound so harsh, but my goodness!

it boggles my mind how anyone can turn from the Truth and accept the RCC's teaching as true Christianity...

actually, it's easier for me to understand how someone would walk away from religion completely than it is to understand how someone would convert from the Truth to Catholicism.

on your last point there, the "Authentic teaching handed down by the apostles, preserved and codified by the Church's Magesterium throughout its history",
I believe someone showed that to be in error by posting from Polycrates' letter to Bishop (not "Pope") Victor re: Passover/Easter....in it Polycrates makes it abundantly clear that the Apostles kept the Passover, not Easter.......

anyway, I hope you and the family are well

DC said...

I wouldn't write it if I didn't think it was true.

I know you can't understand why anyone would forsake what you call "the Truth" in favor of embracing what I believe to be the Church that Jesus built -- the Catholic Church. I was just like you.

The thing that opened wide the doors to Catholicism in my eyes was the question of authority -- that is, whether the Protestant doctrine of sola Scriptura, or "Bible alone," was true. I took it for granted all these years until I was confronted with the other side. I was unable to prove the "Bible alone" teaching from the Bible alone, or any other way.

The Catholic view makes the most sense to me: that there is one deposit of Faith that comes to us through the Church both by Scripture and Tradition (2 Thess. 2:15).

brave anonymous poster said...

well, if you took the "sola scriptura" position, you were in error all along....some things, such as the calendar, are not in scripture....

but the RCC has twisted and perverted the truth... you reference 2Thess. from the RCC angle to back up your claim, and that is an excellent example of Catholic twisting of scripture....

anyway....when Christ returns He'll straighten it all out, and you'll have a head start because you already know most of what He'll be teaching....and I suspect that you'll be an easy convert.