Thursday, October 07, 2004

What I Don't Like About "Christmas"

I grew up without Christmas. It wasn't until maybe four years ago when I officially celebrated my first Christmas, because until that time I viewed its observance as a vain "tradition of men" that arose from ancient Babylonian paganism.

I actually detested the decor, sights, and sounds of Christmas festivities, the kind that many others make special trips to see and hear. Out of conscience, I even refused to help set up a Christmas tree at the restaurant I worked for after high school. I wasn't going to participate in "the ways of the heathen."

Perhaps later I'll explain why I changed from seeing Christmas as a day of pagan worship to embracing it as a day worthy of angelic celebration. But there are still a couple of things popularly associated with Christmas that make me uncomfortable.

Santa Claus
There was never a day when I believed in the Santa Claus of folklore. I credit my parents for not fooling me into believing in a Santa, the Easter Bunny, or even the tooth fairy. Since my earliest memories, I've always understood the concept of fictional characters. Parents don't lead their children to believe that Batman or Daffy Duck are real-life characters; why, then, make an exception with Santa Claus, who is supposed to be associated with a religion--no, THE religion--of truth?

I have no problem with the idea of Santa himself (I'm not going to pounce on him with a flying sleeper-hold headlock next time I see him at the mall), but I'm not comfortable with those who would have a make-believe character be the main attraction of a festival central to the Christian faith.

The Spirit of "Gift-Getting"
God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. Jesus was born to give His life for us. This greatest Gift, this self-sacrificing love and concern for others, can be imitated (to an infinitely smaller degree) by our giving gifts to others at Christmastime. But when the practice of gift-giving is turned upside down, it becomes gift-getting. And the quality and quantity of gifts received become the criteria for how one answers the question, "So how was your Christmas?"

Prepare Now
Christmas is over two months away. But, believe it or not, now is the time to begin preparing for it--that is, if you want don't want this year's Christmas to be an unfulfilling and even unpleasant experience.
  1. Stash some cash. Don't be foolish and go into debt just to give greedy credit-card companies a Christmas bonus. Save now and spend only what you have stored up for gifts. Don't make material goods the focus of the festivity, but make reasonable efforts to garnish the season with thoughtful gifts and decorations.
  2. Make plans to avoid too many plans. If it's to be a merry Christmas, there's no sense in overextending yourself to the point of misery in order to make yourself and everyone else "happy." Learn to say no when too many demands are requested of your Christmastime schedule. Sit back and enjoy the entire season of Advent to the fullest.
  3. Be reconciled to God. Most of us should know from experience that Christmas, or any other important Christian celebration, just isn't complete without a right relationship with our Maker. We all fall into patterns of sin. Take some quiet time to evaluate yourself and seek out all indicators of pride, avarice, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, and sloth. Historically, these are called the "capital" sins because they engender most all other sins. You may be surprised, upon careful self-examination, how far we let ourselves slip spiritually. Once you identify your sins, confess them and trust in God's forgiveness to overshadow you, and in His grace to transform you. Only then can you reap the full benefits of this most joyous of all Christian celebrations. One more thought: Why not try something novel and actually attend church on Christmas? It's the best way to stay focused on the meaning of the day.
I hope you're looking forward to Advent as I am. Just don't look for me at Wal-Mart on the morning after Thanksgiving. That's one of the things I don't like about Christmas.


No comments: