Sunday, June 25, 2006

Good Godless!

Taking a break from mowing grass, I stopped at the library to pick up my reserved copy of Ann Coulter's latest book, Godless. I've read only the first three chapters so far, but I'm enjoying every sentence. She's the ultimate smartbutt. I'd hate her if she wasn't right. Every page is jam-packed with stinging sarcasm and satire, which I reward with a series of great-big grins.

I've skimmed through various anti-Coulter blogs, and they frequently criticize Coulter's style. They think her attacks are vicious and un-Christian -- Godless, if you will. What I haven't yet seen is serious refutation of her conclusions.

I can't help but think her satirical style makes her opponents jealous, because she's smart as a whip -- she gets away with her humorous, biting style because she presents her case with facts and common sense. And she can really sell her books.

Sarcasm, by the way, is not inherently bad. It can provide just the right leverage to pry open the mind of reason, unless its purpose is to simply be mean. When Jesus speaks of a speck in your brother's eye versus the plank in your own, He is thick on sarcasm, but also on truth.

I read this book not so much from a political but a Christian perspective. Ann does a good job documenting and explaining how seriously twisted society has become in its rejection of God. She makes out the enemy to be "liberalism," but the real enemy is the sinister being that lurks behind and "inspires" this our culture of death: "that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world" (Revelation 12:9). His deceit has surfaced in every age to one degree or another, in one form or another. Regrettably, in today's American politics, it can be seen in the form of liberalism that promotes abortion, homosexual unions, euthanasia, Darwinism, and other godless philosophies.

He who has an ear, let him hear what Ann says to the church of liberalism!

No comments: