Saturday, June 17, 2006

Hanging With Joel Osteen


Yep, it's true. That's Joel and me cuddling in the afterglow of one of his warm-and-fuzzy, feel-good positive messages at his Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. He let me know that if only I had a "can-do attitude," realizing I'm "a victor and not a victim," and that since I "come from a spiritual blood line of champions," I can live my "best life now." I just gotta have faith. Do I have an Amen?

When my best school friend since third grade visited me last month from Michigan, he thought it would be a shame not to see Joel Osteen while visiting Texas. So we went.

It is the largest church in the United States, with 30,000 members. Joel preaches where the Houston Rockets used to play basketball -- until it was purchased by Lakewood Church. If only the NBA team could have rocked the house like Joel can! Judging by the crowd's reaction, his sermon was a slam dunk.

I've been to only a few music concerts in my day (e.g., R.E.M., The Cranberries, Credence Clearwater Revival), but Lakewood Church puts on just as good a show.

I enjoyed the experience because of its entertainment value and Joel's celebrity status, but I must say it's no substitute for the sacrifice of the Mass. Even more impressive than Joel's presence is the Real Presence.

No comments: