Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Thought That Hurts My Brain

I wish I could de-mystify this mystery. It bugs me, but I just have to let it go. Follow my logic and let me know if you can explain things in a way I can understand:

My two presuppositions are these:
  1. All time and matter -- the whole physical universe -- must have had a beginning. It did not always exist.
  2. God, who is not a part of Creation but is outside of it and thus timeless, does not have successive thoughts or acts. If He had one thought followed by another, then that means He is in time and not in eternity, for time is merely a measurement of the motion of matter, which He created out of nothing.
It seems, then, that God must have been thinking about this Creation in eternity. Since He is timeless, then that means there wasn't a "time" when He decided to begin acting on His thoughts and start creating. Yet this universe was born, was begun. It almost seems that if God was always thinking about us, He was always Creating us, so we've always been here, but that can't be.

Just as one can rightly say "God IS," can one say "God DOES"? How would that square with the physical universe having a definite starting point?

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to look at this apparent conundrum?

You don't know what the heck I'm trying to ask, do you? . . . Crap!

1 comment:

DC said...

This was posted on a widely read blog, and one person recommended I get Frank Sheed's "Theology and Sanity." I'm very interested in getting it. I'll save up for it.