Saturday, June 17, 2006

I Didn't Mean to Steal Gasoline . . .

I took my son to his Boy Scout outing today, and on the way home I stopped at a gas station, put $10 worth of gasoline in my car, and didn't pay for it.

You see, after I finished refueling, I pulled out a $20 bill from my pocket and walked toward the station, but the door was locked. I went to the other door, and it, too, was locked -- furnished with a sign that read "Closed."

Aaaargh! I said to myself. Doooooh . . . geeze!

After thusly articulating the frustration I faced, I walked around the building, peeked through windows, looked for any helpful information that may be posted -- but nothing. After a while, I figured I couldn't just hang around till the store re-opens (whenever that may be), so hesitantly I got into the car and left.

I was sure I would see flashing lights behind me as I drove, and I imagined that, since I was unshaven and looking somewhat bummy, I'd be featured on an episode of COPS. But I made it home without incident.

I will pay for the gasoline I accidentally took. I'll try to reach the gas station by phone tomorrow. Somehow, if possible, I will pay.

This story reminds me of the three factors that must be simultaneously present for a sin to be mortal:
  1. Grave matter. Stealing gasoline in Bush country certainly qualifies. You just don't mess with Texas. Beside that, stealing is a violation of the Seventh Commandment. Anytime you violate the Big Ten, it's automatically a grave matter.
  2. Full knowledge. I know that taking gasoline without paying for it is wrong, a sin. I can't plead moral ignorance.
  3. Deliberate consent. Phew! This one lets me off the mortal-sin hook. Objectively, I stole, but not deliberately. I did not freely choose to steal. You might say I should have made sure the place was open first, but I didn't. I honestly but incorrectly assumed the pumps would have been shut down if the station was closed on a Saturday afternoon.
After my morning bowl of oatmeal tomorrow, I will try to get in touch with the gas station, because it's the right thing to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not that I'm encouraging you not to pay (I'd do the same), but it was pretty lame of them to close the station and not shut off the pumps...

Wonder how much gas was taken by not so decent people...